I have a little-known great butt exercises for you in this week’s Best Butt Exercises post. This is a great exercise for not only your butt, but your abs and core will thank you for it too (maybe not at the time, but pain is your friend in the exercise world!).
I came across this exercise in a Tapout XT workout, the “Buns and Guns” workout to be specific. Loved it as a great butt-blaster move, and so I am sharing it with you today.
Exercise: Plank With Lateral Leg Kicks
Muscles worked: Glutes, Abs, Core (stabilizing muscles)
Jolie Recommends: 3 sets of 20 (10 per side), followed by a 4th set of 30 seconds where you perform as many reps as possible
Difficulty rating: 3
Effectiveness rating: 7
We all know plank is hard enough, but how can you make it work out your butt as well? The answer: add a lateral leg kick, made even more glute-tastic by adding a resistance band loop around your ankles.
I love this exercise because you get all the benefit of the plank (think tight, toned abdominals and improved upright posture) but also incorporate some great butt-building variation moves in with the plank. The result is a tough exercise that will have you working hard, but gets great results.
Best Butt Exercise #14: Plank With Lateral Leg Kicks
A plank with a lateral leg kick looks something like shown in this video, but when we do the exercise, we won’t be kicking as fast and will be performing the move with much more control so that the muscles really get a workout.
How to Do the Move
- Start in the low-plank position on your elbows. Engage the core to create a straight line from the top of your head to your heels – no sagging of bellies or butts in the air!
- Keeping it straight, lift your right foot a few inches off the ground and keeping this height, move your foot out to the side (laterally) to a distance of about 1 – 2 feet. Try to keep this movement slow and controlled.
- At the full extension of the kick, hold for about 1 second.
- Keeping your foot hovering above the ground, return it towards your balancing foot, and touch down to the ground.
- This is 1 rep, repeat with the other foot on the other side and ensure to train both sides equally.
Perfecting Your Form