This week’s star on Best Butt Exercises is the curtsy lunge.
Curtsy lunges will help with your butt shape to produce a tighter, rounder shape. Figure skating and hockey are two sports said to give you a nicer butt, and it’s these kind of cross-lunge type movements that naturally occur in these sports that are responsible for all the magic.
Exercise: Curtsy Lunge
Muscles worked: Calves, Quads, Glutes, core.
Jolie Recommends: 5 sets of 10 per side with dumbbells
Difficulty rating: 3
Effectiveness rating: 8
Best Butt Exercise #2: The Curtsy Lunge
How To Do The Move
The video above has a demonstration of what a curtsy lunge looks like, so be sure to check that out! Here’s how to do it, step by step:
- Start in a natural standing position with your feet side by side. Use a bar, back of a chair, or a wall to help keep your balance initially.
- Keeping your right foot stationary, shift your weight into your right foot as you step your left leg diagonally behind you and to the right – bringing it to the right so that it’s even further past your right foot. Your body should be in a twisted position as your legs are somewhat crossed over behind you.
- Land on the balls/toes of your left foot gently, mostly just using this leg for balance – and bend your right knee down into a lunge/squat. You should feel this in your right gluteal muscles.
- Pressing up through the heel of your right foot, push yourself up and out of the lunge, bringing your left foot back to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side, this time keeping your left foot stationary and shifting your right foot diagonally behind and crossing over to the left.
- Return to center. That’s 1 rep!