This week’s Best Butt Exercises feature is a simple yet effective butt exercise that will hit the sides of your butt (the gluteus medius muscle) and help to round out your glutes to get that better butt shape that you’ve always wanted.
The best part I like about this exercise? It’s easy and you won’t find yourself huffing and puffing for breath. What you will get though, is a nice glute burn which tells you that you are well on your way to a better booty!
Exercise: Lying Side Leg Raises
Muscles worked: Glutes, Outer Thigh, Core (stabilizing muscles)
Jolie Recommends: 3 sets of 10 (repeat each set of 10 reps on each side, alternating sides between sets)
Difficulty rating: 2
Effectiveness rating: 6
If you don’t have a resistance band, no problem, you can perform this one without any resistance at first, or alternatively with a set of ankle weights if you have access to some of those. If not, consider buying some! Ankle weights are great for building better buns.
Best Butt Exercise #15: Lying Side Leg Raises
How to Do the Move
- Start in the low-plank position on your elbows. Engage the core to create a straight line from the top of your head to your heels – no sagging of bellies or butts in the air!
- Keeping it straight, lift your right foot a few inches off the ground and keeping this height, move your foot out to the side (laterally) to a distance of about 1 – 2 feet. Try to keep this movement slow and controlled.
- At the full extension of the kick, hold for about 1 second.
- Keeping your foot hovering above the ground, return it towards your balancing foot, and touch down to the ground.
- This is 1 rep, repeat with the other foot on the other side and ensure to train both sides equally.
Perfecting Your Form