It’s that time of the week again – time for another Best Butt Exercises post! This week, it’s the move you’ve all been waiting for, the donkey kick.
Exercise: Donkey Kicks
Muscles worked: Glutes, Hamstrings, Core (stabilizing muscles)
Jolie Recommends: As many as you can! (Or: 5 sets of 20 reps – though go for less reps if you’re performing these weighted, say 8-10 reps)
Difficulty rating: 2
Effectiveness rating: 8
Donkey kicks are great because they target the part of your butt that other compound exercises can miss. The movement of the leg backwards in the donkey kick is one that really only the glutes can do, as long as you don’t let poor form creep in (which can allow other muscles to take over).
Best Butt Exercise #13: Donkey Kicks
How to Do the Move
- Start on all fours on your hands and knees, with hands directly below your shoulders and knees directly below your hips; all about shoulder-width apart.
- Tighten your core muscles so that you spine is in a neutral position.
- Keeping your core tight, slowly raise your right leg by hinging at the hip to bring it behind you. Keep the leg bent.
- Squeeze the glutes at the top of the movement and hold for a moment.
- Lower your leg to the ground and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Repeat on the other leg.
The below video shows what the basic donkey kick movement looks like.