This week’s best butt exercise is simple, but oh-so-painful!
Don’t worry, it’s the good kind of pain – the one that makes your muscles burn like they’re on fire, but also lets you know that your body is on its way to being fitter and stronger.
Exercise: Butt Burns
Muscles worked: Glutes, Quads,Hamstrings, Core
Jolie Recommends: 50 reps per side for 3 sets, with a 1 minute break between sets.
Difficulty rating: 4
Effectiveness rating: 8
I’ll let you take a guess at why this week’s exercise has a name like “butt burns”.
Let me tell you right now that you should be feeling this one in your butt if you are doing it right!
If you don’t have something you can use at home, get yourself something like an inexpensive rubbermaid step or this funky two-colored adjustable one which will do the trick, and is also perfect for step ups and other multi-level exercises.
Otherwise, feel free to use a set of stairs, a sturdy box or chair.
If you’re really stuck finding a step, you can actually do this move on level ground too (though it is more effective with a step).
Best Butt Exercise #23: Butt Burns
Here’s how the butt burns are done:
How to Do the Move
- Start standing with your right knee bent so that your right foot is up on your step and the left is off to the side on ground level.
- You’ll need to transfer all your weight onto your right leg, engaging your core muscles for balance.
- Sit your butt backwards into a 1 legged squat position so that your weight is in your heels. The deeper you squat, the more burn you’ll get!
- Keeping your weight on your right leg, stretch out your left leg behind you and gently touch your pointed toes to the ground. Reach both arms out overhead.
- Bring the left knee up in front of you while pulling back with your arms. This is one rep.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps, then switch sides.
Perfecting Your Form